Thursday, April 29, 2010

Henry the Cat

While we were at the feed mill today Ivy started playing with one of the mill's cats. This started a discussion between the owner and I on how cats have been their most effective form of rodent control, better than poison, which got me thinking of our own rodent problems, and that got me thinking of Henry. ...Because he was the worlds worst mouser. In addition to being a horrible mouser he also bit, ate everything (and I mean everything, he ate newspaper bedding once), was constantly escaping or getting into places he wasn't supposed to go, and was in general incorrigible. His big redeeming factor was that he was great with Ivy. Ivy could do anything to him. The cat that would hiss, spit and bite when you threw him off the counter would let himself be dragged around the house, pet and generally mauled so long as it was done by someone under three feet tall. It will be two years this summer since we had to put Henry down. My foot has lost the auto blocking reflex I used to have when opening any exterior/pantry door but sometimes, when Fiona runs away from Ivy, I miss him... and then I remember how used to bite my toes under the table! Fiona's main expertise is the art of camouflage so now days some visitors don't even realize we have a cat, and as nice as Fiona is she's nothing to talk about, she's got no crazy escapades to tell. Henry, now that was a cat with stories, he must have been trying to pack them all into to his short little life. Here is my favorite of his "I'm the worse mouser in the word" stories.
Henry and the Freezer Mouse

One night when I was home alone and John was working second shift a squeaking noise got me out of bed to investigate. It was of course Henry with a mouse. Part of Henry's completely horrible mousing skills had to do with the fact that he never, ever, in his life killed a mouse, he would sometimes catch them but they always escaped him in the end. So the desired action when he would catch one was to try and take it away and kill it so that it didn't just escape back into the house when he got bored with it. So I got out of bed and found Henry with a very lively mouse. Henry was holding the mouse and growling at it because the mouse was biting him, then Henry would let it go the mouse would try to run away, Henry would catch it... over and over and over. I grabbed a empty coffee can and tried to overturn it on the mouse, I completely failed to catch the mouse, and instead spilled bits of straw and feathers that were in the can (it was my egg collecting bucket) all over the kitchen floor and now Henry knew I was after HIS mouse. We raced around the downstairs of the house until I locked us all in the office. Then Henry and I sat on the floor, him growling at me and giving me the evil eye mouse in mouth, me waiting with my coffee can. Then the mouse bit him again, he dropped it, I tried to catch it with my coffee can, missed and Henry grabbed it again... this went on with slight variations (mostly involving a bookshelf) until I finally caught the mouse. Then I didn't know what to do with it. I had a live mouse under a coffee can what was I thinking?? (I'd like to add here that I was quite pregnant with Ivy at the time so I was probably tired and NOT thinking) It was at this point that I called John at work for advice. His advice, flip it over with a piece of cardboard and shake the mouse into a plastic bag and throw it in the freezer. We had finished off quite a few of Henry's mice by throwing them in the freezer. I know that sounds kind of odd but we also froze and saved mice we caught in traps to give to REGI for the birds there so it's not that odd. So I used a folder to trap the mouse in the can and flipped it over. I didn't hear anything. I had expected to hear some sort of little thud when it hit the bottom of the can. So I slowly peeked in the top, and fast as lightning Henry swooped in and grabbed the mouse back out of the can. So back we went to fighting over the mouse. I finally got it back under the can again. It was then I decided I had had enough. I put three huge books on top of the can, threw the cat out of the office, closed the door, left a note for John to take care of it (it was his *#@ cat after all), and stomped back upstairs past the straw mess on the floor. John came home and dumped the mouse in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer.
The End

Just kidding... Nobody thought about the mouse again until three days later when I went to condense my mouse bags, (alright, fine, having bags of frozen mice is odd but it's for a good cause!) I found the bag that the mouse had been in, with a hole chewed in the corner and no mouse. That started me on the unpleasant task of looking for a dead frozen mouse somewhere in my freezer. Well, I found it quickly, it had been hiding in a plastic bag, and it was defiantly NOT dead and frozen. Quite startled I slammed the freezer door. I'm pretty sure I spent a few minutes wondering how I get myself in these situations and then set a mouse trap in the freezer. Snap traps have always worked better than cats in our house.

The End
Mousing is just the beginning of the Henry stories, there was the chocolate milk, the almost getting flushed down the toilet, the reason he got de-clawed... the list goes on and on. We love Fiona, but she'll never have the tales to tell that Henry did. And perhaps she likes it that way, she is the queen of camo after all.

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget the time Jessie and her friends Mary and Abi had a girls' weekend, so Steve and I took him (litter box and all) into Madison to Steve's apartment for the night. I think he then proceeded to eat Steve's apartment while Steve and I were drinking, and culminated in Henry peeing on the seat of Steve's Rav4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to let the record show, Jessie bought the cat and then dumped him on me while I was living in Rockford and he was in his unholy terror of a kitten phase. We worked it out though, and I think it's poetic justice that after that first year he never bit me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forget the time he jumped on my dog, Cooper. Cooper was standing in the living room facing the kitchen staring at Henry (and those of you who have met Cooper can imagine the drool). Henry jumped up and turned mid-air and clung upside down from Cooper's neck...all four paws holding on. Cooper's expression said "Yipes!!" very quickly followed by a "HELP". And he didn't move a muscle until Henry let go, and, I swear, swaggered away, and looked at me with a "Whaaat?" sort of look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and he bit my big toe...often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the time he got completely tangled in GameCube controllers and then decided to race out of the room down the stairs with everything attached to him

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been so much fun hearing everyone's favorite Henry story both on and off the comments, he was some cat...
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete